Hormones are substances that are produced by endocrine glands (thyroid, pancreas, gonads, pituitary, etc.) and participate in all processes in the body. These bioactive compounds determine the processes of growth, development, reproduction, metabolism, the appearance of a person, their character and their behavior depend on them.
The produced hormones go into the blood, where they are in certain concentrations and equilibrium with each other. Anomalies affect health and can lead to the defeat of various organs and systems. And it’s important not just the concentration of a hormone, but also its relationship to other types of hormones.
When is the blood test prescribed for hormones?
The blood test to determine the level of certain hormones and the hormonal background as a whole can be prescribed by almost any specialist:
- A neuropathologist;
- Oncologist, etc.
This procedure allows you to identify a large number of different pathologies, even in the early stages prior to the manifestation of clinical signs.
The reason for this analysis may be suspected dysfunction of the glands of internal secretion or an increase in the size of the glands (eg, after ultrasound). Frequently check the number of hormones required if:
- increase in weight
A repeat study can be assigned to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment.
Preparing for the analysis of blood for hormones
To obtain high quality and reliable results should follow the recommendations set forth below for the analysis of blood for all hormones (thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), sex, adrenals, thyroid, etc.):
- Two weeks prior to the study, all medications should be discontinued (except those whose receipt was agreed with the physician prior to analysis).
- Three days before the test you should stop using alcohol.
- 3-5 days before analysis, it is best to eat fatty, spicy and fried foods.
- 3 days before the analysis you have to give up playing sports and not allow a heavy physical effort.
- You can not smoke on the day of the study.
- Since the blood donation is done on an empty stomach for analysis, you should not eat 12 hours before the procedure (sometimes only clean water without gas is allowed).
- Immediately before the procedure, you should rest within 10-15 minutes, so as not to worry.
As the hormone level in women of the menstrual cycle, it is better to take the test for 5-7 days after the onset of menstruation. If you are planning to analyze the level of the hormone progesterone, it should be done on the 19-21 day of the cycle. Before performing a blood test for sex hormones, do not recommend gynecological examination, palpation of the mammary glands.
Decrypt the blood test for hormones
Decrypting the blood test for hormones can only be done by a qualified specialist who bases each patient on an individual approach, taking into account the characteristics of the organism, existing diseases, current therapy, and many other factors. It should be noted that the standards for the analysis of blood for hormones in different laboratories are different. This is due to the fact that different methods, equipment, reagents, holding time etc. can be used in the study. Therefore, if you need to conduct repeated analyzes, you should contact the same institution as you did for the first time, and in deciphering you should follow the standards used.